Here are some steps you can take to make sure that you and your family are prepared in case of an emergency.
- Sit down with your parents and sibling(s) to create an emergency plan.
- Draw up a floor plan of your home that shows all possible exists from each room.
- Practice your plan at least once a year with your whole family.
- Prepare an emergency kit with your family.
- Your kit should include items such as water, non-perishable food, a first aid kit, warm blankets, a flashlight, extra batteries, etc.
- Learn about the types of storms, natural disasters and other potential emergency situations that can happen in your neighbourhood.
- During a storm, if you are indoors, stay away from windows, doors and fireplaces.
- If you are outdoors, seek shelter. If shelter is not possible, look for low-lying areas away from water. Crouch down with your feet close together and your head down (the “leap-frog” position).
- Consider going to the sheltered area that you and your family identified in your emergency plan.