Internet Safety Rules
- I ask my parents' permission before giving out any personal information on the Internet.
- I only use chat rooms for kids that my parents have checked out for me.
- When I’m online I always use a nickname that doesn’t reveal anything about me – including if I am a boy or girl.
- If an online message makes me feel uncomfortable or frightened, I don’t respond to it. Instead I tell an adult right away.
- If I want to arrange a meeting with someone I’ve met on the Internet, I tell my parents first and make sure one of them comes with me.
- I treat people nicely when I’m online and never post or send rude messages or threats.
- I always ask permission from the author before taking words, pictures or sounds from a Web site.
- I use Web sites and search engines for kids that my parents, teacher or librarian have told me about.
- I know that things I read online aren’t always true so I check the information with a parent or teacher.
- I always check with an adult before opening e-mails from strangers.
Source: Media Awareness Network