Dress Brightly and Be Seen
Have a parent or guardian walk the path to school with you, until you are comfortable enough to walk to school and back on your own. Walking with a friend to school is also a good idea. If someone gets hurt, the other one will be able to get help.
Important safety tips to remember:
1. Cross at corners or where there are traffic lights, not in the middle of the street or between parked cars where it is not safe.
2. Look ALL ways before crossing a street, driveway or alley.
3. Ensure drivers have seen you before you step off the curb by making eye contact.
4. If there is no sidewalk, use the left side of the road facing traffic.
5. Be bright and be seen: Add a retro-reflective patch to your coat, or the next best thing is to wear or carry something white.
6. And of course, walk with a buddy.